Covid19 . Update 6th November 2020
Temporary stop to part-exchange.
Due to very high volumes of books being brought in for exchange recently and the need to quarantine those books for several days, we at Hibernian have had to introduce a TEMPORARY halt to book exchanges. We are sorry that for the next 2 weeks we will not be able to accept any books for credit evaluation. We hope to return to normal at the earliest opportunity so for now please contact us before bringing in any books.
We strive to keep the bookshop and the
books safe for everyone. The main idea is that the touching of books
must be minimized to keep this as safe as possible for everyone.
is how we are doing it:
- Mask is obligatory inside the bookshop at all times (don’t pull it down to talk!)
- Hand sanitizer is available at the door. You should use it when you come in and when you leave.
- Any books that are handled by clients go into quarantine or get carefully disinfected before we put them back on the shelves.
- Children must be accompanied by a responsible adult who is willing to supervise their browsing at all times.
- To allow for the safe 2m. distance we limit the amount of people in the shop. We’ve also moved some furniture and marked the floor.
- We, obsessively, clean our hands all the time to keep all books clean.
- We quarantine all books that come into the shop before we put them up for sale.
- Surfaces, door handles, etc. get cleaned way more often than they used to.
may also place an order through this website and pick it up at the
Or you can buy with delivery and we will send you your books.
Stay safe, people!
Do you buy books?
No, we don't, but we do operate a part exchange policy whereby books that are brought into our bookshop by the public are valued by us according to age, condition, title, etc. The client may then use that credit to purchase other books in our bookshop. The credit can be used there and then or kept for a rainy day. We will create an account to keep the credit for future use. The credit gets cancelled if the account remains unused for 2 years.
Can I bring books for part-exchange at any time?
At the moment due to very high volumes of books being brought in for exchange recently and the need to quarantine those books for several days, we at Hibernian have had to introduce a TEMPORARY halt to book exchanges. We are sorry that for the next 2 weeks we will not be able to accept any books for credit evaluation. We hope to return to normal at the earliest opportunity so for now please contact us before bringing in any books.
During the pandemic (after the temporary halt):
- For small amounts of books (ap to about 15 or 20 books) we will be able to evaluate your books on the spot and you can use the credit straight away if you choose to.
- For larger amounts, we ask that you contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org so we can arrange an appointment for the books to be brought in. As we have to keep the books in "quarantine" before we go through them to so it may take about 1 week to evaluate.
Do you take any books?
As long as they are in English, pretty much. There are a few exceptions: books on pregnancy and parenting; most computer manuals; language teaching books older than 5 years; university course books, old mass produced novels that cannot be classified as literature or classics, for example, anything with the word “Airport” in the title. We are also not very fond of faith based belief systems and the promotion of them.
We sometimes also take books in other languages (except Catalan and Spanish), but the credit we give is less than for books in English. Please ask us (email or phone), before you bring books in other languages.
Do you sell new as well as secondhand books?
The great majority of our stock is second hand, we also have a growing selection of overstocks, which are books that are nearly new at a reduced price. We have also a small selection of new books, as in not used, but we do not usually have recently published books.
What books have you got?
We have over 40,000 titles in stock: fiction and non-fiction. We have 30 non-fiction sections ranging from biography to self-help, from art and design to marketing and business and everything else in-between. Our fiction sections have something for everyone. We have more than 50 sections in our shop, but we are carefully doing a stock take of each and every book, so the sections will be visible online gradually. All the books are available at the "physical" bookshop.
Do you sell on-line?
Yes. For now we are only selling and shipping within peninsular Spain and Baleares.
We are looking into sending to Canarias, Europe and the rest of the world!
Can you order books you don’t have in stock?
Yes, we can order books; our suppliers have over 1.000.000 titles available. We don’t charge extra for special orders. Deliveries take between 1 and 3 weeks depending on which supplier we can get it from.
Do you have books in other languages?
Most of our stock is in English. We do, however, have sections in French, German, Italian, Dutch and a very random mix of titles in some other languages. We don’t have any books in Catalan or Spanish.
Do you sell Coffee?
No, we sell books... there are lots of lovely coffee places in Gràcia... but they don't sell books ;-)
Do you take credit cards?
Yes , we do. You can also use cash (euros) or the credit we give you for the books you bring for exchange.
No travellers cheques and no dollars.
Where are you located?
We can be found in the Barri de Gràcia, one of the cultural highlights of Barcelona. Please check our contact page to find a map, information on how to get to our bookshop and our opening hours.